INVEST TRAINING HUB
There has never been a better time to take a bit of time and explore what it means to follow Jesus in 21st century Scotland. Why not try Training Hub while you work and study or as part of an INVEST year?
What we do
Invest in yourself, your leadership, your faith and your future.
As The Baptist Union of Scotland we believe it is hugely important to take time as a young person to develop a Christ centred life. To learn what it is to be an apprentice of Jesus in 21st century Scotland.
We encourage our churches to offer INVEST years to those aged 18-24 who may want to take a year out, developing their faith, leadership and understanding of mission in 21st century Scotland.
We offer 2 options……..
INVEST including Training Hub
For those who want to take a whole year out, the INVEST programme includes Training Hub, placement at your church and mentoring across the year.
For those who want to invest deeper in their understanding of what it means to be a follower of Jesus in 21st Century Scotland, but want to keep working or studying.
What is an INVEST year?
There are 3 elements to the INVEST year.
You take a year out to serve in your local church, either part time or full time. It is up to each individual church to agree what is involved in this service. Previously this has looked like helping with the youth work, community work, kids work, worship and generally helping with the work of the church.
The INVEST trainee joins up with others from different churches and goes through the Training Hub course delivered by the Baptist Union of Scotland.
MENTORING and COACHING
As part of your service within your church you will have both a line manager and also a mentor. Someone who will come along side you and help you process and grow throughout the year. As part of training hub you will receive regular coaching and feedback sessions to encourage you as you journey through the year.
What is Training Hub?
Training Hub is a year-long development course that seeks to develop trainees’ understanding of what it means to be a disciple of Jesus in 21st century Scotland. At the moment, the plan is to deliver the course over 9 monthly conferences which will consist of a consecutive Thursday and Friday evening; plus training nights one Wednesday a month; monthly coaching sessions and 4 assignments across the year.
What will I learn?
- Missional Discipleship – Disciples as apprentices. / Missions role in discipleship.
- Scripture in the lives of disciples. – Why the Bible matters and how do we engage with it?
- Emotionally Healthy Spirituality. – Why our emotional health is linked to spiritual maturity.
- Holy Spirit in the life of disciples. – Who is He? What does He do? How do we grow in Him?
- Prayer – What does prayer look like in the life of a disciple?
- Pioneering – Church Planting / Innovating / Church for the rising generations.
- Leadership – Why does leadership matter? What is distinct about Christian Leadership
- Breaking Bonds – Finding freedom from the things that can hinder our walk with Jesus.
- Living Series – A series of Wednesday training nights that will look at practices and disciplines helping us live in the way of Jesus. (eg Money, Forgiveness, Disappointment, Sabbath and Celebration.)
- Culture – What is culture? How do we engage well with it as Christians?
- Apologetics – What is apologetics? How do I bring God’s truth relevantly to people and society?
How is it delivered?
We are all affected by COVID-19 restrictions around physical distancing. Our hope is to do as many gatherings as possible in person however, we will start the year delivering content online encouraging smaller gatherings if/where possible.
Proposed Timetable For Session 2020 – 2021 (May change)
Monthly Conferences (4:30pm – 7:30pm):
October – Thursday 8th, Friday 9th
November – Thursday 5th November, Friday 6th
December – Thursday 4th December, Friday 5th
January – Thursday 28th, Friday 29th
February – Thursday 25th, Friday 26th
March – Thursday 25th, Friday 26th
April – Thursday 29th, Friday 30th
May – Thursday 27th, Friday 28th
June – Thursday 17th, Friday 18th
Proposed Wednesday Evening Dates (2020-2021)
7th October 2020, 11th November, 9th December, 20th January 2021, 24th February, March 17th, April 21st, May 12th and June 9th.
Additional video calling coaching sessions will be added once the course is underway.
Who is it for?
Training Hub is for anyone aged 18 and over. It is run in such a way that it can work for you whatever stage of life you are at. Here are some examples of people who benefited from Training Hub this year.
- Students at university (You will miss a few Friday lectures!)
- People taking a year out to serve their church.
- People working full time. (You will need to take 5 days annual leave across the year.)
- Parents whose kids are now in full time education and they want to reinvest in themselves and their faith.
This year is not just for those that feel called to work within a local church but this is a year for everyone. God calls many of us to work in different spheres of society – in the future you may work as a plumber, teacher, doctor or church leader. Whatever sphere of society you are called into in life, the Training Hub year is a great way of developing a Christ centred life and space to grow in Godly leadership.
How much does it cost?
Training Hub Costs £500 – This covers the training sessions, food and accommodation.
- Required reading books are not covered by this.
- Travel costs are not covered.
- It can be paid in instalments.
Training Hub is administered by the Baptist Union of Scotland. All payments should be made out to the Baptist Union of Scotland.